SAMPLES OF JOE’S WORK SINCE JUNE 2016
Proprietary articles, reports, and white papers
- AllRisks Ltd.
—“Protection for the Protectors” (agent E&O)
—Risk Management for Auto Dealerships
- DataRobot, Inc.
—Automated Machine Learning in Insurance
—Five Automated Machine Learning Solutions for P/C Insurance
- Worldwide Facilities
—Long-term Care Liability
— Real Estate Liability
—Layers Professional Liability
—Agent newsletter article on long-term care liability
- Advisen-Partner Re: 2016 Survey Report on Cyber-Insurance Market Trends
Reports for Adjusters International
- Home-Sharing for Apartments and Condominiums
- Insurance for Loss of Attraction
- Functional Replacement Cost: Its Origin, Evolution, and Application
- Concurrent Causation: An Adjuster’s Dilemma
- Business Interruption Coverage Times Three
- What’s Your Policy on Pets? You Need to Have One
- Marina Property Risks Need Careful Scrutiny
- Guns on Premises: What’s the Safe Approach?
- Tenants and Marijuana: What’s a Landlord to Do?
CPCU Insights magazine articles
- Fall 2019, Money, Money, Money: Why Is (or Was)
There So Much Capacity in the Property/Casualty Industry
- Summer 2019, The Mexican Model for Disaster Insurance
- Winter 2018, Climate Counts
- Fall 2018, Inequality and Insurance
- Spring 2018, Acting Reasonably in Settlements
- Fall 2017, Guns, Insurance, and the Ethos of Private Protection
Blog posts for The Institutes
- Catastrophes and Climate
- Liability Modeling Comes of Age
- Who Will Suffer Weather Losses?
- Summer’s Respite From Risk
- Insurance Jobs USA: Protecting People, Property and Livelihoods
- Insurers and NAFTA: It could be better, but it can get worse
- Small Businesses, Big Exposures
- An Abandoned Building on Halloween: (Insurance) Horrors Abound
- Hard Hits, Hard Questions (regarding tackle football)
- What to Look For–or Ignore?–in 2019
- The Super Bowl: A Game of Risk
IRMI Risk Reports (subscription required; individual samples provided on request)
- March 2020, Animals and Insurance
- November 2019, Terrorism Reinsurance Renewal
- July 2019, Managing Supply Chain Risk: Where Does Insurance Fit?
- March 2019, A Look at Product Recall Insurance
- January 2019, Old Problems and New Possibilities in US Flood Insurance
- October 2018, Beyond NAFTA: US, Canadian, and Mexican Insurance in Transition
- April 2018, Parametric Risk Contracts—A Complement to Indemnity Insurance
- November 2017, Inland Marine Construction Insurance
- May 2017, Insurance for Violent Acts
- March 2017, Coming to Terms with Cyber-Insurance
Insurance Journal Academy of Insurance presentations
(purchase required; individual samples provided on request):
- September 2019, Professional and Management Liability for Small Business
- August 2019, The Evolution of Cyber Liability Coverage and Exposure
- June 2019, Additional Insureds and Certificates of Insurance
- November 2018, A New Era for U.S. Flood Insurance
- October 2018, Insurance and Pets: Expanding exposure, expanding coverage
- July 2018, Insurance and Firearms- Where do we stand now?
- October 2017, Using CAT Models to Develop Liability Pricing
- April 2017, Insurance and the Sharing Economy
- January 2017, Insuring Renewable Energy
Other recent samples available by request.
JOE’S WORK BEFORE JUNE 2016
Viewpoint magazine, 1994-2016
I wrote and edited this quarterly publication over my 21 years with AAIS. Here are a few sample issues:
- AAIS Viewpoint Winter 2013
- AAIS Viewpoint Summer_2012
- AAIS Viewpoint Summer 2010
- AAIS Viewpoint Summer 2007
- AAIS Viewpoint Winter 2006
- AAIS Viewpoint Fall 2005
Earlier editions of Viewpoint are available upon upon request. Please use the “Contact” form.
The AAIS Main Event conference, 1995-2016
For 21 years, I planned the business program and recruited speakers for the AAIS Annual Conference, renamed the “Main Event” in 2007. This annual meeting brought insurance executives, industry leaders, and business partners (reinsurers and vendors) together with AAIS staff and board members to assess the strategic implications of insurance product development.
- 2013 AAIS Main Event report
- 2014 AAIS Main Event report
- 2015 AAIS Main Event report
- 2016 AAIS Main Event report
AAIS presentations, 1999-2015
Over the course of my tenure at AAIS, I gave numerous presentations on technical topics for insurance product specialists. These are a few samples.
- 2015 PLRB pres on inland marine
- 2011-01 AAIS Boat & Yacht programs
- 2010-03 IJ Academy ag insurance seminar
- 2009 CPCU pres on Motorized Toys
- 2008-04 Inland Marine for AICP
- 2004-03 Indiana IIA Farm Liability seminar
- 2004-04 AAIS Commercial Umbrella web seminar
- 2003-12 AAIS Personal Umbrella web seminar
- 1999-08 Commercial Lines DeReg for AICP
Other AAIS work
Both Viewpoint and the Main Event developed into the core benefits of an “associate member” program, developed by my colleague and friend Rick Maka, that raised revenue from organizations seeking to reach out to AAIS members. Also, I developed and distributed press releases about developments at AAIS, and developed a series of AAIS Advisory notices that combined AAIS news with state regulatory announcements to create a growing repository of relevant information.
AAIS articles in other publications
During my time at AAIS, I researched and wrote numerous articles for placement in major insurance publications, including Best’s Review, Rough Notes (an agent publication), The IRMI Risk Report, and publications of The Institutes and CPCU Society.
CPCU Society articles
- 2015_CPCU Insights – Price Optimization
- 2013_CPCU E&S article
- 2002_Mar_CPCU Journal_Insurance as Savings
- 2000_Sep_CPCU News_Blanket vs Scheduled
Rough Notes articles (from my AAIS years)
- 2006_Sep_Rough Notes_mini vehicles
- 2006_Nov_RoughNotes_water damage
- 2006_May_RoughNotes_TRIA changes
- 2005_Dec_RoughNotes_HO & families
- 2004_RoughNotes_Inland Marine
- 2006_July_PLUS_terrorism & liability
- 2005_PIWA_Inland Marine
- 2013 IMUA Earth Movement
- 2015 NYIA article on home fires
The four articles listed below I researched and wrote in 1990-91 for Savings Institutions magazine, a publication of the former US League of Savings Institutions.
- Financial disclosure article
- Financial institution news section
- Financial reform article
- Report on HR software
These three articles were among the many projects I produced for Moebs $ervices, a research firm that provides information and training to banks, credit unions, and savings institutions.